Friday, October 17, 2008

The power of yoga

Namaste

I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, light, peace and joy. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, We Are One.

What is Kripalu Yoga? (The easiest way to explain it comes straight out of Wikipedia.)

Kripalu Yoga is a form of Hatha Yoga that was developed through the teachings of Amrit Desai, and his teacher, Swami Kripalu, who spent four years teaching at Kripalu ashram. It is a therapeutic, gentle and spiritually focused yoga with clear alignment and a three stage approach incorporating Pratyahara (inner focus) and Dhrana (meditation) within the yoga poses. Like other approaches, Kripalu Yoga uses classic asanas, pranayama (breathwork), development of a quiet mind, and the practice of relaxation.

What defines Kripalu Yoga is its emphasis: following the flow of prana (life-force energy), practicing compassionate self-acceptance, developing witness consciousness (observing the activity of the mind without judgment), and taking what is learned “off the mat” into daily life.

What does it do for me?

It provides me with the opportunity to release stress, practice relaxation and meditation in a meaningful way while stretching my mind and body. I walk out at the end of my class, free of stress and feeling great. Now I just need to start practicing it at home.

1 comment:

Sue G said...

You've finally been able to go!!
Sounds awsome.
Sue