
A few weeks ago I went apple picking with my sisters, Donna & Jill, as well as my nieces, Elise and Alyssa. On the way to Jill's house Donna and I were discussing the adoption process with the girls. Elise was beyond herself with excitement, suggesting what names to choose, and asking if Mike & I knew whether we would have a boy or a girl. While this is happening I look at Alyssa and she is making the strangest face. She then stated with as much authority as a four year old has "You're too old to have a baby" So I asked her "Am I too old to be your Aunt?", Alyssa answered "No, you're not too old to be my Aunt" Donna & I exchanged glances, smiles, and a great deal of laughter as we continued this conversation on our way to Jill's. Well we get to Jill's and we just had to share the conversation with Jill. So being a wise guy and already having a theory behind Alyssa's comment I ask her "Alyssa, is Aunt Jilly too old to have a baby" , Alyssa answered "She's too old to have a baby" Now all of you who know Jill, know thats impossible! I then asked Alyssa if Aunt Jilly was too old to be her Aunt which of course she answered "No". Again after much laughter Alyssa looked at me and said "Where is the baby going to sleep, there's no room in my room" The guest room in my home has become Elise and Alyssa's room when they stay over. I never would have thought that my four year old niece would be jealous but she was. It made me realize just how special I am to her (and Jill of course) and all I could think of was how lucky I was to an Aunt. Anyway all of this was learned through the eyes of a child. Incredible!
PS We went apple picking, ate too many apples, Mike has proof, (Mike took photos which came out great) and saving the best for last ....WE GOT LOST IN THE CORN MAZE FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW! Now thats fun:)
Kim












No comments:
Post a Comment