Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Secret Life of Bees

Summer reading is always something I look forward to. And I do read all summer long! This last book I finished two days ago. The Secret Lives of Bees is a story about relationships, relationships between mothers and daughters and those we see as mother-like figures in our lives. The main character "Lily" is searching for a mother, her mother, after a tragic accident. But more than that, she is searching for her own sense of self-worth.

I found it interesting that as we wait for our children, daughters, and even sons, that we are searching too. Searching for that sense of fulfillment and knowledge that states to us individually that we are complete with that one hug and smile that says it all.

I try not to forget that one day whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the search will also begin for our children. I just hope that when that day comes our child will see me not just as his or her adoptive mother, but as Mom.

Besides all this seriousness, it really was a good read :)

No comments: