This past Friday I took my mom and went to visit my nieces. My sis and her hubby were out being a couple and I got to play Auntie which I love to do. After my oldest niece went to dance class we decided to go out to the local diner for a quick bite to eat. First, I never thought a quick bite to eat could take over a booth table. Second, I never thought we would be having this conversation. Now I know you never know when this conversation may come up.Niece: "Do you have a ?????"
Me: "I can't hear you honey speak up."
Niece: Do you have a ??????
Me: Bread? "Yes, I have it on a dish."
Niece: "No."
Me: "Yes, it is right here."
Older Niece: "Did you hear what she said?"
Me: "What did you say?"
Older Niece: "She asked you if you have a bra?"
Niece: "Do you have one?"
Me: "Do you have what?"
Niece: "DO YOU HAVE A BRA???????" (tone is above that which is used in normal dinner conversation in a PUBLIC place)
Me: "No." (Look her in the eye and think did she just ask me what I think she asked me?)
Niece: "You don't have a bra?"
Me: "No, I don't have a bra." (Serious face)
Niece: "Huh?"
Me: "I don't need one I just let it all hang out." (Normal dinner tone conversation, serious face. Definitely not role model material at this point.)
Older Niece: Trying to keep food and drink inside mouth. Starts to laugh and can't stop.
Mother: Spits out food, starts to laugh and then choke. Can not believe that I said what I said.
Me: (Serious face.) "Is that okay?"
Niece: (Serious thinking going on face.) "Mommy said that you have to wear a bra when your boobs get big so you don't bump them into anyone."
Me: I laughed so hard, I could not breathe for a few minutes, yes minutes. We were all laughing and silly comments continued until I went into the I'm the reponsible Aunt mode and explained the importance of a bra, when we start to wear one, and how it was okay that she wasn't wearing one yet.
That she could wait.
She could wait.
At least we all thought so.
I think so!
Don't ask her though she is still trying to catch up to her older sister and thinks she is ready to wear one :)












No comments:
Post a Comment