Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Connecting our children


I often think of ways that we will connect our child to his or her birth country. Currently there is a campaign to do just that for Chinese Adoptees world-wide thru Chinese Adoptee Links International. There is an interesting article about Chinese Adoptee Links International that discusses this very sensitive and yet so very important issue. Info on a pen-pal project organized by Chinese Adoptee Links International can be found here.

It is not enough to just be his or her mother. There will be a time when identifying with another adoptee and trying to find the truth, good, bad, or indifferent, is just more important than you are as a parent. It hurts but that is the reality. Are you ready to suck it up and just be there for your child? By just letting your child be? It is a scary thought but one that is thought-provoking. At a time when I find myself thinking about my own family, I can't help thinking about our child's birth family. They are not going to go away. How will you handle it when the time comes??

Off to think.....

1 comment:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Love your site back sister... I agree with what you are saying here... I too was adopted (at one month) and grew up wondering... mum always said that I would wonder if they lived in a big house. Turns out they didn't. I guess I was luckier that I was able to get my questions answered. The only thing you can do for the kids we are adopting is to be there for them.