This morning we had a Mother's Day Concert at work. I was against it from the outset. First, my kids are young and although they love to sing, turn silent when in front of big groups, become starry-eyed when family is around, have difficulty sitting for more than fifteen-twenty minutes, and are always traumatized at the end of these darn events. This is how it went....
I came into my room to find nine chairs.
I have EIGHTEEN kids.
The indoor playground was closed for the concert.
The outdoor playground was closed due to inclement weather.
Nice! Sweet! Not!
The kids from the beginning of the day could not sit still.
Mommy is coming!
I ran thru all of my morning activities in record time.
Not good!
The Concert was at 10:40 am, by 10:25 am I knew I was in trouble.
They were ready to sing, parents were walking by and waving at them thru the window, I could barely read my last story without them running to the door.
Mommy is here!
I receive a knock on the door reminding me the concert is starting in a few minutes.
Duh! Did you think I didn't know that!
I walk my class in last because there was no way I was going to get them to sit forever with MOMMIES in there waiting to sing or in their case listen to me sing Mother's Day songs.
We almost walk, slight skip, jog, run to the playground.
Mommy is here!
We seat them, a few walk off to their Mom's.
Chaos! Chaos!
Mommy is here!
We sing! No, correction, I sing!
It ends shortly later because there was no way to keep them (Toddlers thru my class) sitting.
Mommy is here!
We walk back to the room.
Children are crying because
Mommy is not there!
Mommy is leaving to go back to work!
Other children are crying
They can
Mommies stay to help because there are just too many sad, upset, crying children.
I get most of them to calm down.
I am sad.
My Assistant comes back from her break and is shocked to see most are still not eating lunch yet. They are so sad.....
I leave them sad to go on my break.
I come back to mostly sleeping emotionally drained children.
Later, we are told by management that they will not do this again.
You think?
As the parents arrive we trade our frustrations over the day.....and ponder the one unanswered question.....
What will happen on Father's Day?
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
Are you kidding me? They really did this? They ~ the professionals with years of experience ~ actually thought this was a GOOD idea??? You're pretty new at the whole thing and even YOU KNEW it would be a complete cluster. Holy Cow. ok you so need to get your own school so that you can avoid idiot decisions like this one. HUGS for being the smart sensitive one. BIG HUGS.
Post a Comment