Where to begin.
Let's see.....
The news I couldn't talk about.
I had the opportunity to take on a Teacher Assistant position and turned it down.
Am I crazy?
No responsibility.
NO RESPONSIBILITY
Yes, I must be crazy.
I do not think you can truly understand the prep time necessary for teaching unless you teach or taught. Many hours are spent coordinating activities, researching activities, and searching for age appropriate books that sometimes my head spins. The opportunity to just SHOW-UP was so tempting and if it were at a different point in my life I would have said yes.
Why did I turn it down?
Two word answer.
China fund. Saving for the adoption is more of a priority than the temptation.
Second tidbit of news. I am in the interview process for an online teaching position. Wow! Did I forget how many steps there are in an interview. The more competitive, the more steps. I am hoping to build a resume in that area so when the baby comes I will be able to work from home. It is a goal. We will see what happens. Right now I am moving along in the process which is better than not moving at all.
This past weekend I volunteered to help set up Arts and Crafts activities for my local FCC (Families with Children from China) Chinese New Year Celebration. It was great to get together with a bunch of China Moms. It is hard to believe but I slowly but surely be surpassing the wait-times of all the moms before me . Not exactly the type of legacy I want.
It was fun to just talk about a little of this and a little of that. It just amazes me how easy it is to talk to each other and how open we are in our little but ever expanding FCC world. There are no pretenses. Take us as we are or well you can fill the rest in. I was happy to contribute in a positive way, met some wonderful ladies, and look forward to volunteering at the event. Over the last few months, specifically the holidays, I really couldn't get myself motivated to attend any FCC events. It is what it is and I have moved forward into this new year with a more positive attitude.
Sunday was spent at my sister's with my nephew, nieces, mother and brother in-law. My poor brother in-law was sick as a dog. (No, none of us realized how bad until we arrived) My younger niece started showing symptoms similar to her Daddy and all I could do is hope that I didn't pick up any SUPER-BUG germs while I was there. I am hoping they will both be feeling better soon.
I could not help but laugh at the following conversation between my five year old nephew and six year old niece which took place in my niece's bedroom by her dollhouse.
Nephew: Where are all the bad guys?
Niece: What bad guys?
Nephew: You know, bad guy dolls.
Niece: There are no bad guy dolls.
Nephew: There are always bad guys.
Niece: Not here. We only have princesses.
Wish my brother could have been present to see his son playing with princess dolls.
Did you know princess dolls are soldiers?
I didn't until then!
Monday morning my youngest niece was not feeling well and sleeping with my sister when my nephew woke up and noticed her missing. My sister heard him get up and then heard the panic. Where is Alyssa? Alyssa is missing. Then the sounds of the child safety gate moving, about to fall, the look of shock and Oh I can't let the gate fall, and then the soothing words of my older niece letting him know she was okay and not missing.
How cute is that?
It was so nice to see the kids interacting and to talk with my older niece who is such the fine young lady! Where has all the time gone? Don't ask, I won't tell!
Today my classroom was evaluated. The funny part was I didn't care about it. I was more annoyed at the inconvience and time spent straightening the room to look just so when I would have rather been spending time preparing for the day and getting my lessons off the ground. Of course, I had to have two children decide to throw a tantrum, one who did not want to sit, and another who just didn't get the behave thing at all. Four children out of fourteen, not bad.
I refused to give in to the tantrums.
I looked at my crying, yelling three year olds and calmly asked them if they were done.
Between tears I heard one say yes and one say no. Not too bad.
Eventually, the crying and yelling stopped.
My misbehaving child was politely re-directed back to her seat way too many times and the one who didn't get the behave thing continued not to get it. Oh, well.
Overall a stellar moment!
My Assistant teacher who is so competitive had me in stitches. We have decided that we both have OCD but on the opposite side of the spectrum which fortunately for us works in our room. We did well. My Assistant will be beyond herself when I tell her tomorrow. Funny, I just didn't want to embarrass myself, she wanted to ace it. HA!
Have a great night!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment