Working at a daycare/pre-school has really given me an insight into "facility" childcare. It has also sadly convinced me that I am not ready nor willing to think about it right now. I would like to have my child attend to help his/her socialization skills but thats is it! I just don't know if I want to see my child get sick the way so many of my kids get sick. Yea, I know they have to build up their immunity and the only way to do that is thru exposure but it SUCKS! Anyway, I created a list of things I would thinka bout before choosing a daycare/pre-school. Now the list is off the top of my head not a top ten. It really gave me something to think about tonight.
1. Is the fee a flat rate? Some daycares charge a flat daily, weekly,
or monthly rate for their scheduled day (Ex- 8 am to 4 pm) and then
will charge extra for dropping your child off early, keeping them
later, and late fees if you do not pick them up on time.
2. What is the staff to child ratio? I can only speak for where I
work. But just to give you an idea:
Newborn and Infants under the age of one: 1 adult to every 4 babies
Toddlers up to the age of 2 years 9 months: 1 adult to every 5
children
2 years 9 months to 4 years old: 1 adult to 7 children
4-5 year olds: 1 adult to 8 children
3. Are they with the same teacher ALL day? Where I work depending on
the staff to child ratio children may move up to an older class or
down to a younger class in the morning and late afternoons based on
staffing. Like anything else having a steady teacher who knows your
child's habits, routines, and levels of comfort is the best of all
worlds. Children attach to caregivers and many have difficulty with
change whether it be teacher or room.
4. Do they follow Department of Health guidelines to the "T"? What
are their rules regarding diaper changes, food handling, cleanliness?
Where I work children wash their hands constantly, staff wear gloves
when changing diapers and/or handling food.
5. What is their daily routine? Snacktimes, lunchtimes, naptimes,
recreational activities?
6. How do they handle sick children? What is their policy?
7. Is there enough space to accomodate the number of children in
attendance?
8. Is their equipment, furniture, nap pads, cots, cribs in good
repair? Is it clean? How often is it disinfected and/or replaced?
9. Do they provide age-appropriate activities?
10. Do they offer camera access from outside your childs room? Where
I work there are cameras everywhere except in the bathrooms with
strict toliet training guidelines. Parents can view my room at
anytime announced or unannounced.
11. How much experience does the teacher in your future child's room
have? Do they have First Aid/C.P.R. training? Class management is a
big deal. Keeping the kids engaged in a variety of activities
throughout the day keeps them from becoming bored, frustrated, as
well as minimizing injuries. Accidents do happen but many can be
prevented.
Just a few things to make your head spin. Is it spinning? Mine is...
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
This is a really good list. I could add only a few comments because really...you covered all the highlights. Parents also need to take a deep breath and face the fact that it's never want they wanted, needed, desired. We had to compromise our standards because adoption doesn't give you a lot of choice in getting on waiting lists. You are rather at the mercy of your referral and then you aren't sure whether to change providers or not once an opening comes up in that "dream school." Dare is still in his first school even though it isn't amazing because for us...that relationship/bonding was the most important thing. That and they love him and it's diverse and it is clean/safe/low ratio. It's just not a learning environment and will probably never be more than a place to socialize, nap and eat. Oh well. We will cross that bridge next year!
Post a Comment