The second issue is gender. We did not specify girl or boy so there is that tiny, itsy, bitzy chance that we could be referred a boy. We are just praying for a healthy child, girl or boy, we'll be happy either way!!!
The third issue is age. We are eligible for a child up to 24 months old, 2 years old. We could be referred a child younger or even a little older. We won't know until we receive the referral.
Then there is the question of a baby shower. Should we have one?? I go back and forth and can barely keep the family at bay. I have not registered yet. I really want to be a lot closer to our referral. Does that sound selfish?? I know that a lot planning goes into a shower but I just don't want to jinx it. I also like the idea of a welcome home party. Is it rude to have both??? I just don't know...
So what's a girl to do but dream.....
or
Either way, a girl can still dream.....












2 comments:
I do have an opinion on this subject. My thought is that you should follow your heart. For some, filling the nursery helps them feel closer to their child. They have already come to terms with giving away items or returning items which don't fit. They aren't worried about that sort of thing. For others, it's a heartbreak waiting to happen and thus they put it off as long as possible. For us it has been a middle of the road sort of thing. We selected a gender neutral theme that we love and decided that it would work well regardless of the age of the room's occupant. So whether the room has my mom in it or a 10 year old or a 12 month old - it still works. We haven't purchased any clothes really and almost no toys. Just books! So if your heart is saying to wait - then wait.
On the issue of a shower, I would recommend waiting until referral. You will need clothes which are appropriate to the season, within a certain size range, etc. You just don't know until then. Gender is also an issue but less of one that getting the right weight and size of clothing especially since you live in the North. Weight is less of an issue here because a blanket or a sweater can compensate for a cold snap. Then there are those gifts which depend on the CHILD'S WEIGHT like the car seat. You should just hold off.
With the gift giving season approaching, I suspect that I won't receive anything from family for the baby. Frankly I am OK with that decision. Like me, they are waiting too. Anything can happen - even twins!
I'm with Trixie! You gotta do what works for you. I'm just now working on cleaning out the clost in the baby's room. I've bought tons of books, a couple of toys I found at a great consignment sale, and a handful of clothing items (all of which are 18-24 mos. and could be adapted for any season). A friend has offered to throw a shower when we feel the time is right, and I don't think that will happen until right before or after we travel. So I say, go with your gut and do what makes you happy. That's the purpose behind all of this stuff!
Post a Comment