Saturday, August 19, 2006

Kim's Book Reviews

Recently, I read two books for pleasure! Yes, I did say pleasure:)
"Digging to America" by Anne Tyler is a wonderful story of two families who adopt from Korea. It explores the relationships between the two families, one very American and one American with Iranian roots, along with their differing cultures and views. I loved it.

Read Time: Three days, slow pace!

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is a story set in China. It is the story of two women born in 19th Century China who are matched as laotongs, "old sames", a relationship for life. The author explores the complex issues surrounding women during that period from birth to old age. In addition, she explores the relationship of two women who communicated through the secret language of "nu shu". It is a must read!

Read Time: 1 1/2 days, you will not be able to put it down!

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Seriously? It's that good huh? Maybe I can get a copy to take to Chicago.