I guess I never really thought about it before. I just recognized it as a term used to signify the day families receive their children in China. But is receive even a good word? I think I like the day we met. I think I like the day METCHA better. I recently read the blog of an adoptee and what the author wrote about really made me think more about the POWER of words and how we use them. If someone said to me "When did you get your little one?" I think I would be offended by the word GET. So how could I possibly use the word GOT or GOTCHA without being a hypocrite. I know that sometimes I read into things too much but just this ONE time I think it bears looking into more. What words do you want your child to remember when you describe the day you meet him or her? How do you want your child's adoption day remembered and what words are you going to use to describe it? I think just like with anything else we get desensitized and after hearing a term incorporate it without much thought to its meaning.
I'm happy I read this blog. The author reminded me just how POWERFUL each and every word we associate with our first day together as a family is. I will definitely be thinking alot more about the words I use.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment