Sunday, July 30, 2006

Baby Bjorn, Waiting Families, taggie blankets and a hat Trixie:)

Check out the hat! Isn't it too cute!! We just had to have it and since my head is too big, Mike's head is even bigger, and the cats won't stay long enough for a picture. our teddy will just have to do. Don't you just love Winnie the Pooh! I don't think Teddy will be a problem. In fact our teddy has said nothing at all about being carried around in the the Baby Bjorn!
We received this cute Baby Bjorn from Michelle at our very first FCC Long Island Waiting Families Meeting. Can you believe two beautiful girls were carried in this!!More later in this post
This is the fabric we plan to use for our Secret Pal "Taggie Blanket" Mike loved the fabric, so there you go!!! A taggie blanket has different tags at each end. It has a different top(cotton) and bottom (flannel). The purpose of a taggie balnket is to expose children to different textures. I voluntarily (no one twisted my arm), joined a ribbon swap. Once I receive the ribbons the blanket will be made. The gift will be going out as part of the "BIG REVEAL" for my FEB/MAR DTC Secret Pal Exchange in October. So Secret Pal until then its still a SECRET!!! He! He! and I'm not telling!!!

I'm definitely in a better mood! I'm on vacation, I can take pictures!!

Yesterday we attended our very first Waiting Families Meeting with the FCC (Families with Children from China). It was a great experience. We had a chance to speak with two families who had just returned from China with their daughters. What did we learn:

1. There are a lot of us who are waiting.... (Over 60 families were at the event)
2. Bring a lot of American Diapers
3. Bring a Sippy Cup with handles
4. Bring a bottle
5. Bring Ziplock bags from Snack to 20 gal. sized
6. Drink bottled water only!!!
7. Put a washcloth over the facet in your hotel bathroom to remind you not to use the water to brush your teeth.
8. Take a lot of photos.
9. If you can meet your child's caretaker, DO IT!! The memories are irreplacable for your child.
10. Don't exchange more than $100.00. China's exchange rate is government regulated so no matter where you go to exchange, you will get the same rate.
11. Carry your money in snack sized ziplock bags with cardboard to prevent them from getting wet (sweat/rain) and bending.
12. Don't bring a lot of clothes, you can buy them cheaper in China and disgard what you don't want when you leave to come home.
12. Bring just a few outfits for your child. You just don't know what size for sure, he or she will be. It was suggested you go three months smaller on the size.
13. If there is something you really must have and can't do without bring it with you!!!otherwise, you can find American snacks in almost any store there.
14. Do not eat hamburgers or order room service.
15. If you can, order a crib seat for your child. Because of the long flights, some airlines have fold-out cribs, your child can sleep in. Otherwise, order an extra seat for the ride home.
16. Be organized!!!
17. Speak with your peditrician to determine what if any medicine you shoudl take with you. Remember you really don't know your child's wait so your doctor can't accurately prescribe certain medications. Bring over the counter medicines like childrens Motrin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Orajel, nd Orajel toothpaste.
18. Avoid the rumors... (Easier saind then done!)
19 Expect the worst, hope for the best, and remember this is a trip of a lifetime that will change your life forever!!!!

I'm sure I learned more but I'm having another senior moment so thats all for now. I also received a Baby Bjorn from a mom who no longer needed it. It was really nice of her to offer it and I plan on using it to learn just how to use it. The last thing I want is to get there and not now how to use it. I figure I'll start light and build up to heavy items.

Today, I spoke with a future "Mom" from my agency, Trixie! It was great talking to someone who was on the same page as me in the process. I actually lost track of how long I was on the phone until Mike called to find me! He!He! We hope to talk again soon:)

2 comments:

4D said...

Sounds like a great time!

Thanks for sharing the tips!

I am saving the list for when our time comes.

Keep smilin!

Trixie said...

We will talk again soon! Tonight! I have 5PM conference call and by the time I am done..you should be finished eating and ready for some gossip.