Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ni Hao from Nanchang! I bet you are all wondering what took me so long to post. Well we had a bunch of little obstacles. Sunday we left Hong Kong and arrived in Nanchang. Quite the experience. We were on a runaway far away from the actual terminal. Chinese Health workers came on the airplane and first videoed and then took each every passenger’s temperature. After 40 minutes we were taken off the plane escorted to a shuttle bus and taken to the terminal At the terminal we had our temperatures re-taken before meeting our guide and leaving for the hotel. For first time parents who were already anxious and nervous, we were stressed to say the least. We arrived at the hotel and checked in before having a travel group meeting. At the meeting we were told the babies could arrive at any moment. We were told to expect hungry and tired babies since they were coming from two hours away. In the middle of the meeting we were told the babies had arrived and to get ready. Well we definitely weren’t. We were the second family called up and unfortunately there was no way to get a photo since baby girl was handed to me right at the doorway. I felt such a strong overwhelming emotion taken over me as they said her name and placed her in my arms. I could believe this most beautiful baby girl was mine and she was in my arms at last. I did not even get to see anyone else get their babies I was so mesmorized by our daughter. She would not take a bottle from me so I tried the gerber puffs and she had some of that. Within an hour she Mike had to leave to fill out paperwork and she started fussing. I managed to put her down but worried that there was no way she would sleep straight nto the morning.After straightening up our room a bit, I tried to email and blog and the internet was so slow that everytime I attempted to attach photo I got booted off. I soon gave up and started sorting laundry when the power went out. Of course, that would happen to us! I had a flashlight and started my search thru the luggage. When I finally found the !flashlight some time later the batteries were dead. I guess it most have switched on while we were doing all of this travelling. We then contacted the front desk, who sent maintenance, who for the next hour tried to restore power to no avail. It was now 11;30 pm, we were bone tired, and had to change rooms. What a mess! But the best part was she slept right thru it all. About 2:30 am she started fussing, I gave her a bottle and she went right back to straight.The next morning she awoke full of smiles, took another bottle, and immediately her personality started to show. She is fun, patient, and laughs heard especially when Daddy is playing with her. We spent that day fulfilling all the requirements for adoption. She is officially our baby girl forever in the eyes of the Chinese government. Nanchang is interesting and eating out likewise. The language barrier doesn’t help although everyone tried very hard to understand us. It can take numerous attempts to make a connection. The country is extremely fascinating just like our trip to Walmart! There is no concept of personal space at all. We were able to get what we needed with no problem and returned back to the room to relax. I have found that I have no time and by the time I get everything squared away for the night I am bone tired and have absolutely no desire to go to war with the Internet. I did manage to get about 6-7 hours of sleep last night and seems she likes to fuss between 2-3 am but once she has her bottle goes right to sleep. Today we plan on just enjoying our time bonding with our amazing little girl and taking it easy.

& Donna

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thank you for letting us follow your journey. Annie is a cutie! Enjoy the rest of your time in China.